There are situations when you want to hide page in WordPress. In the present text I shall not speak about password protected pages or private pages, which you can easily make within your editor.
Instead, I shall speak about hiding page in WordPress or about hidden web pages in general, when they contain too many affiliate links. You do not want search engines to see such pages because this may hurt your site.
[Barrios-El Ultimo Tremolo]
WordPress landing pages
Hidden web pages are typically related to WordPress landing pages. The latter are an important part of a pay per click campaign (PPC). Why do you use them in this case? The answer is simple:
- they usually contain many affiliate links
- they may contain duplicate content from your ordinary pages
- they are not prepared following SEO rules.
You can have many of such landing pages, therefore it is better that they are not indexed.
But it is good to know that a landing page used in a PPC campaign can be any ordinary page which you have built by following the usual SEO rules, and which is therefore normally ranked even if it contains a number of affiliate links.
Hidden page associated with an ordinary page
First to explain what I mean by ‘associated’. This means the following:
- You have published a normal page following SEO rules where you present a series of affiliate products but without any affiliate links. Such a page have all chances to be ranked high and this is what you want to use.
- At some appropriate point(s) within this normal page you make an internal link to another hidden page. This hidden page you have prepared in the manner you like, the important is that it contain direct affiliate links for products. It is not related to any keyword and this is what makes it different from a normal landing page.
How to make a hidden web page – practical steps
- You make a page whose only purpose is to contain affiliate links. This makes it different from a landing page which can be a complete duplicate of your normal page but with added links.
- In the SEO part of the editor you make sure to check-in these Robot items seen in the picture below left (nofollow, noindex, etc.).
- Leave empty Exclude pages tab, see the image below right. Note, this is the reason why you create hidden page and not a hidden post. This is due to the plugin ‘Exclude pages from navigation’ which you normally have in the system, it does not affect posts which go to blog roll on your home page.
- In your page you now add your affiliate links. One possibility is to use Table features within Text mode. It may look like this:
As you see this is a table with 3 columns. All you have to do is to put iframes from your affiliate site in the place of iframe-1, iftame-2, iframe-3. You may add another table after this one etc. Here is one example from my site:
- In the corresponding ordinary page I add link to this hidden one.
- With this the job is done, save and publish. Note, I do not add this page to menu, but if I go to Appearance, Menus, I can see the page there as shown here on the right.
So these are basics of what you need to know if you want to hide page in WordPress. I have launched this idea within Wealthy Affiliate community. You may see my blog there and reaction of other members.
In this text I have been focused mainly on the hidden page attached to a normal page. Regarding the mentioned landing pages and PPC procedure, you can learn all you need if you go to these lessons at Wealthy Affiliate. If you have any plans to do a successful PPC campaign, I warmly recommend you to follow these lessons. There is a lot to learn and I assure you, you will need all this knowledge for a successful action.
As you realize, hiding page in WordPress is not complicated and having such hidden web pages can be very useful. Try them at your side and see if it works for you. Thank you for reading, and please leave some comments in the box below.