There may be situations when you want to add something to your post so that visitors see it in one click. So read hear how to add a PDF to a WordPress page or post, the same procedure applies to other types of files.
Adding a PDF to a post or page is useful if you want to provide some extra information to your readers, or if you simply want to give them something for free. In this way the flow of your main story is uninterrupted, yet a reader can access the offered file in one click on the link in the text.
So the PDF itself is not directly within the post or page. It is added to the media directory of your site, and as such it has its url so that you can add it as a link.
1. It is good to have your attachment file ready while you are writing your text. I keep saying ‘PDF’ just as an example, but this can be any other kind of document of course. So this can be:
- Some map.
- Some MS Word document.
- A PDF of course.
The procedure will be the same for any of these attachments.
2. You are now at some point in your text where you would like to add the PDF attachment. So go to ‘Add media’ which you see in the editor, and click on ‘Upload files’ and continue with ‘Select files’.
As a demonstration, I have prepared a list of keywords that are relevant for this post. You will realize this is a bonus if you plan to write a similar post.
3. Search for the prepared file in your directories in the computer and upload it. The file will appear in your media library, and on the right you will see the information about the file, which in my case looks like this:
4. In the tab URL you see the link, so just copy it. You have done with this. Do NOT press ‘Insert into post’, just close the window at this point.
5. Now in your post/page text do the usual procedure for adding a hyperlink. I assume you are familiar with it. I have done exactly this, so as an example, click on this link to download the file I prepared for you.
The file shows several great keywords, the three numbers are respectively, the average number of searches, the expected average traffic if you get ranked on top position, and the so-called QSR (quoted search result). All these keywords I am able to find easily at the platform where I host my sites and where we have an excellent Jaaxy keyword tool included.
Are there SEO benefits? Can you be ranked by a PDF attached to the post?
The answer may surprise you, but it is yes, there are SEO benefits. Here are some:
- You can indeed be ranked by any (key)word from the file that is attached to your post or page, although the file is nowhere on you site, it is only in your site’s library. I have seen this many times in some of my sites. So attaching a file may be beneficial also from SEO perspective.
- Make sure that the attached file link opens the file in a separate window. You have seen this in my attached file above. In this way, the reader will open the file and perhaps read it while still being on your site. This will increase your on-page time and Google will notice this.
- Think also about site’s returning visitors strategy. Quite generally, with such attachments together with quality texts you provide value, it is likely that your readers will be aware of this and perhaps bookmark the post or the site. This will improve your site’s authority and ranking.
So this is how easy it is to add a PDF to a WordPress page or post. The same applies to any type of file. Try it at your side and no doubt you will get used to it easily. I hope you find this text useful, and of course, bookmark this site and come again. Please leave some comment below, I shall be happy to read it.