When you start building your site you might need to know how to create home page Making it is simple when you know how to do this. In this post I describe basic steps. You will create home page in minutes.
When you make posts in your site, they normally go to your blog roll which then serves as a home page for your site. But when a visitor lands onto your post(s) and then perhaps decides to go into the pages of your site, (s)he may lose track of the exact location of your blog roll.
See the picture below of the front page of my site without a home page, and with the title of one post below it:
Of course the visitor can go back to posts by clicking onto the title of the site, but not everybody may be familiar with this. So it may be more obvious and convenient to create a home page which would designate the location of your posts. Some themes (templates) come with a home page but not all. In general it is good to chose a theme carefully when you start building your site.
Here is what you have to do in order to make your home page.
1. Go to Appearance -> Menus, and click on Links. This will open the window which you see below:
2. In the tab URL you will paste the url of your site, in my case this is https://justmythinking.com. In the tab below the url, you may type something like Home Page or whatever you like; I write Home Test.
3. Next, click on ‘Add to Menu’ and this will give you your menu on the right:
The meaning of ‘Custom’ associated here with Home Test is that it will contain your blog roll. If I now click on Home Test it displays this:
The url of this ‘Home Test’ page is the front page of my site.
4. Now I just save menu, refresh the page, and this gives me my front page with the new Home Test page in the list:
This ‘Home Test’ page is now my home page; when I click on it I shall be in my blog roll. You can see this more clearly if I go to Settings and then Reading, it shows this:
As you see, the resulting home (or front) page is in fact the blog roll page as I wanted.
5. You may want your Home page to be something else instead of the blog roll, and this will then be your ‘static page’. This can be done easily. You can create something like ‘My Home Page’ and put any content in it.
In this case you will also have to create a separate page for your posts, like ‘Posts’. To create this ‘Posts’ page, go to Pages and Add new, give the title only and publish it without any other attributes. You will need to include it into the desired menu of course.
All you have to do now is to go to Settings and then Reading (see the picture above) and choose you new ‘My Home Page’ as the static page. For the post page you will then select ‘Posts’ and your blog roll will now be in ‘Posts’.
So this is the procedure on how to make home page as a blog role page or as a static page. No doubt you will be able to repeat this. You might like to read my another post about the best place to learn how to build website and start an online business.
Please leave your comments below, I shall be happy to help and answer any question. You can also get in touch with me through my WA profile.
Do you need a perfect keyword research tool? Try this one, they give 30 free searches.