The term how to protect web page is used within this text for describing the following two separate issues:
a) Password protect web page.
b) Copy protected web page.
These are discussed in the text below.
Password protect web page
You may want to password protect site in the following situations:
- when you want to charge for some part of the content
- when you want to have a part of your site available for a specific group or audience.
[Augustine Barrios Mangore: Ultimo tremolo]
If you use WordPress (WP) then this is easily done within your dashboard. The basic steps are as follows.
1. When you are in editor within WP, like me now while I am typing this page, on the right and below Save Draft, you see the option Visibility. Cluck on Edit which you see there and you get the menu seen here on the right.
You click on the option ‘Password protected‘ and it will open a tab where you may add a password.
2. In the SEO part of the editor, below the area where you type the page/post, there is an option NOINDEX to check-in, which will prevent it appearing in Google crawlers:
With this option, search engines may still go through the text, but the results will not be displayed in search results. Remember, you want this text to keep private. More about this read here. Note also that Google advises the following: ‘You should be aware that some search engine web crawlers might interpret the
noindex directive differently. As a result, it is possible that your page might still appear in results from other search engines.’
Further on Google support you may also read this:
3. When you publish such a page it will appear in the menu and when clicked on, the result in my case is:
4. The same window seen above will appear if somewhere else you add a link pointing to this password protected page or post. If you are not familiar with the procedure of adding links, the complete tutorial on links you can find in another page within this site. Clicking in such a properly made link will result in opening the same tab as above.
5. You might want to add such pages/posts as a drop-down menu under a separate item in the menu. For this, when you are in Dashboard in WP, you may create a menu item under Custom links, with the ‘link’ #. See the picture on the right, and for more details please read a separate page here.
Copy protected web page
This implies copy-paste web pages protection. For this purpose I use WP Content Copy Protection & No Right Click plugin. Its free version works great for me. The basic features of the plugin you may seen on the picture here on the right. The pro-version has much more, you may easily find it in your WP editor by going to Plugins, Add New, and then follow instructions there.
You may test it by trying to copy parts of the text of this page which you are reading. To be realistic, no absolute protection exists nowadays, but this at least does not make the job easy for those who want to copy-paste my text.
Addition (April 2017): Meanwhile the plugin I was using for copy-protection started causing problems, so I had to disable it. It does not mean it will cause issues in your site, so all presented here still holds.
So I hope you enjoyed reading this text and you find it useful. Drop some comment below, I shall be happy to read it and to answer any question you might have.
If you want to learn about building your own site and starting an online business, please read these pages within the site:
You can join me at Wealthy Affiliate and learn all what you need for an online business.
Read here more on:
- how to deal with sidebar widgets
- how to use Keyword Tool at Wealthy Affiliate
- how to insert pictures into posts and pages
- how to add YouTube video into posts and pages.
Need a great keyword research tool? Try this one for free.