Here you have presented a few simple steps on how to transcribe YouTube video to text or better to say how to extract text from YouTube videos. Keep reading.
When you watch a YouTube video of a person who is a good speaker and knows the topic well, sometimes you might want to save the transcript.
This is about options that are standardly available on YouTube, so one might assume that saving transcripts of the videos is not against rules. But what you plan to do with such transcripts may be a completely different issue, so this is up to you.
In any case, here are the practical steps:
1. Go to YouTube and find a video.
2. There is a menu underneath the video, so on the right hand side you will see 3 dots as in the picture below. Click on this tab and you will see the following drop-down menu:
3. So click on ‘Open transcript’. The transcript will appear on the right with timestamps as shown below:
4. You have three vertically ordered dots on the right, they are visible in the picture above. Click on these dots and you will have ‘Toggle timestamps’ option:
5. Click ‘Toggle timestamps’ and the timestamps will disappear.
6. Now simply select and copy text, and you can paste it anywhere where you want to save it. Job done. This is how easy it is to extract text from YouTube videos.
Note that not all videos have this ‘Toggle timestamps’ option. Not sure why this is so. But you can still copy everything and then remove the minutes that will be there in the text.
Now, is this legal? I searched a bit and could not find any reliable information. But as mentioned, this is all available on YouTube, so it should be OK to do this, but do not take this as granted. Some people may find it easier to think about the topic when they see it presented in the text. it all depends on the topic of course.
But if you plan to use this text in your own post, do not be lazy or you might suffer later. Namely, from what I have heard, Google normally creates an auto-transcript of such videos. So these transcripts are already known to Google. In other words, if you just use such an auto-generated text, this will be a duplicated content, and you will not rank.
So learn the topic from the text, edit the text and change it beyond recognition. Rewrite it in your own words, expand where you can and where you find it necessary, and simply add value.
In order to rank in Google, you might want to know what to look for in keywords and about benefits of long tail keywords. Thank you for reading. Let me know what you think and if you have questions, there is a comment box below.