There may be situations when you want to have links in your WordPress sidebar, either ordinary or affiliate links. For this you will have to create a WordPress links widget which will contain a list of your links. You do not need any plugin for this.
The process consists of two parts:
- Editing your lists of links in the usual way within a separate page or post.
- Adding the code of such a list of links into your WordPress text widget.
a) Editing a list of links in a post
1. Go to your dashboard and open a new page or post, you may give it any name. You will not publish it, but you may keep it for future if you want to make changes in the list of links which you are going to make now.
I have made a list using the usual itemization from the WordPress editor, and here is how it looks like in Visual mode:
As a demonstration only, I have added links to the first and the third item in the list, that is why they are in red. This is all rather straightforward.
2. Now I switch to the Text mode in the WordPress editor and I see this text which corresponds to the one on the picture above:
In this particular case, as you may see, these are ordinary links, but they may be your affiliate links as well. This is my code which I shall need in the text widget. All what is left to do is just to copy the code.
b) Adding the code of the list of links into sidebar WordPress text widget.
3. Now I go to Appearance, and then Widgets as you may see below on the left. Next, I add one empty ‘Text widget’ to the list of widgets on the right.
4. After having one new Text widget in the sidebar, positioned where I want it to be, I can open it and type in some title. You may see it below, I made the title ‘Important Links’.
Now I paste the code prepared above, so the widget looks like this:
I do not need those extra sentences ‘Some text if needed’, so I remove them and keep the list items only.
5. All what is left to do is to save it and exit. The result which appears in the sidebar in my site you may see here on the right.
So this was a rather simple way of making a WordPress Links Widget. The result is a nice list in your sidebar with some (or all) elements in the list being links, either affiliate or ordinary.
Within this site I give a lot of details related to WordPress, like these page about images and the one on how to insert link in the post. If you like to read on how to start an online business, read my first text ever, written when I was building my first site at Wealthy Affiliate.
Please leave some comments in the box below, I shall be happy to read and to answer any question.